Discover your intellectual strengths
16. Which of the following words can be defined as a thing, matter or object?
Raise, Rays, Rase, Raze, Rehs, Res
Res. Res is also the plural of the note Re.
17. Which of the following words can be defined as dry or withered?
Cere, Sear, Seer, Sere
Sere. Sere can also mean the series of stages in an ecological succession.
18. Rhyme schemes
A rhyme scheme is the pattern formed by rhyming sounds at the end of each line in a poem.
The pattern is indicated with letters, where rhyming sounds share the same letter.
What is the rhyme scheme of the nine lines in this poem by Robert Frost?
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favour fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
- "Fire and Ice" by Robert Frost.
A. The rhyme scheme of "Fire and Ice" is an ABAABCBCB style.
19. Which of the following are both spelled correctly?
C. BSc, PhD. Bachelor of Science, BSc, and Doctor of Philosophy, PhD.
20. Speaking this way requires an expressive use of language as a simile, personification or metaphor.